Friday, July 5, 2013

July 5, Day 13: Food Overview Pt. 1

Today for lunch, I had a truly amazing meal, and I decided immediately that even though this blog will cover many important aspects of my time here, it is definitely relevant to devote several posts to nothing but food. So here it is: my top five favorite foods that I have eaten in El Salvador (so far). Drumroll please!

5. Sopa de frijoles (Bean Soup): I hate beans in the States, but ever since I tried a pupusa offered to me by my friends Gerardo and Mario, I began to open my mind a little. When Gerardo's mother made bean soup, I was still somewhat skeptical, but I went ahead and tried it, and I am very glad I did. The soup combined with duro-blando queso (hard-soft cheese), portions of tortilla, and a little bit of salt created a utopia of flavor in my mouth. It was impossible to narrow down the taste, but the cheese stood out the most along with the various textures.

4. Platanos con leche de crema (Plantains with Milk Cream): Plantains are somewhat similar to bananas, though they have a unique texture to them. Boiled plantains, fried plantains, and even raw plantains have all made plantains one of my favorite fruits, despite having never tried it in the US. When Carla brought out milk cream for dinner one night and Gerardo advised me to try it, I discovered I was instantly in love. It is a very light and soft cream that tastes like milk but is also a bit sweeter, making a healthy snack on par with many delicious but unhealthy desserts.

3. Carne de cerdo con puré de papas (Pork with Mashed Potatoes): As someone who resides in the South, it is almost sad including this, but there is not getting around it; Gerardo's mom cooks up the best pork and mashed potatoes I have ever had in my life. The potatoes were extremely creamy, almost like a gravy, and the pork was so tender that it could be sliced up with merely a fork. It almost melted in my mouth, but most of it was meat, rather than fat. Needless to say, the parts that were fat were even tastier. This was my lunch today.

2. Pizza: As stated in a previous post, the best pizza I have ever had was at the restaurant "La Tarteleta" in San Miguel. I could taste every single ingredient: the thin crust, the perfectly melted cheese, the tomato sauce, and the raw tomatoes on top. It sounds largely like your average pizza, but it was so much more. I ate it on three different occasions during the four days we were in San Miguel.

1. Crêpe: Though more well-known in France, I tried my first crêpe at a mall in El Salvador shortly before going to the movies with Gerardo and Connie to watch The Great Gatsby. My sweet tooth was kicking in so I was going to buy an éclair, but Gerardo dragged me to a food stand called Crêpe Lovers. I had never tried one before and the pictures that looked like tortillas made me sure that it was going to be a typical Salvadorian food, but I was way off. The crêpe I had was sweet, rolled up and stuffed with slices of bananas and strawberries with a double layer of white and milk chocolate. Of all the desserts I have ever enjoyed, this one is definitely at the top of the list, and anyone who knows me can testify that I am a sugar junkie. There are different types of crêpes; apparently salty ones are more akin to a meal (Gerardo had his with cheese and ham), but the sweet ones are undoubtedly desserts.

That's it for this food post! I hope to experience more savory delights that I can discuss and ultimately compile at the end of my trip into a "The Best Foods of El Salvador" post. And by the way, today is Gerardo's birthday. Happy birthday, Gerardo!

One.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. You make it all sound great. So good to see you embracing the culture so openly.

    ReplyDelete