Thursday, July 25, 2013

July 25, Day 33: Las cervezas, los vinos, y el ron

Like many people in the US, Salvadorians like to kick back and enjoy an alcoholic beverage every now and then. Unlike in the US, however, I have not seen many instances of substance abuse here (which led me to question the age of drinking and consent in the US a few posts back). I have never had a problem with the idea of drinking, but I have had a problem with alcoholism. People that party constantly, people that drink a case a day when they have a family to support, and people who are bumming around on the streets but still able to afford alcohol are the kind of people that infuriate me. Perhaps it is because I have seen so many of these people in the States that I have never even been tempted to drink there.

Nah, my reason isn't so noble; I simply have an overinflated ego and am in the middle of a game. The objective: to see how many countries I can drink in before I drink in the States. Last summer in Italy was the first time I ever tried alcohol: an Italian liquor while I was in Sorrento called Limoncello. It was truly disgusting to me, like extremely carbonated lemonade. Still, my motto when it comes to food and drink is "I will try anything at least once." I like to believe that mantra of mine justifies my pickiness. So when I was offered the Brazilian beer Brahva after a day or so here, I jumped right into the Salvadorian culture. The main drinks I have had since I have been here are the Salvadorian beers Pilsener and Golden  (and they seem to be the most popular as well). It is probably because my tastes are unrefined, but they all taste very similar to me, though not necessarily in a bad way. That also goes for the Mexican beer Corona Extra which I tried despite being teased that it was a drink for women and children (it was something new that I always hear about). I was disappointed to discover that vino tinto (red whine) tasted even worse to me than the beer did, but I actually found a few beverages that I enjoy. White wine (vino blanco) and an unknown type of rum I had at Gerardo's surprise party with Gaby both tasted really good despite the familiar aftertaste I have come to associate with alcohol.


It is interesting how cracking a bottle open here projects a completely different vibe than in Arkansas. Here, when the bottles come out, there is immediately the promise of an enjoyable long meal with laughter and chatter. It will end with proper disposal of the bottles and some new memories. There, drinking usually leads to a lot of disgusting cans polluting the "Natural State," forgotten memories as the result of inebriated minds, and irresponsible decisions. Granted, these are all stereotypes, but they are stereotypes that my mind has created based on the type of people and environment I have witnessed. When I return to Arkansas, I will continue to abstain from drinking alcohol, not only to prolong my egotistical game, nor because I give a damn about the drinking laws, but because I am happy without it and cannot imagine finding there what I find here. There's just something about drinking in the company of friendship that a gang of reckless underage college students eager to stick it to the man cannot replicate, and with that said, I won't even try. Too many other things that I would much rather do and devote my time to, but I sincerely hope that I can return to El Salvador in the near future and relive this nostalgia.

One.


No comments:

Post a Comment