Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July 23, Day 31: La Gallina India

Today promised to be a slow day so Gerardo and I went to the gym for the first time in a while to work out. It turned out that Mr. Worldwide also goes there and was working out as we arrived, much to all of our surprise. After we finished biceps and triceps, we went out to eat at a restaurant called "La Gallina India de Doña Marta" or "The Indian Hen of Madam Marta." Gerardo's food suggestions have never steered me wrong before so at his and Rodrigo's prodding, I ordered the chicken which was supposedly the restaurant's specialty. It most definitely was. Each bone was scraped clean and the tender meat was consumed in its entirety. Apparently, the chickens raised by the restaurant only consumed natural food (for example, worms rather than genetically modified food) so they possessed a better and more natural taste. I could definitely tell; it tasted well-seasoned to me but apparently nothing was added except salt. The soup wasn't too bad either, but because I am not a huge fan of vegetables, it was just so-so to me.

Even though I really enjoyed the food, that wasn't really the reason for today's post. What really got to me is I think I finally saw part of impoverished El Salvador. The people I have met and enjoyed hanging out with have been largely well off, so although I have come into contact with many different people, my perspective is still narrowed down to middle class and higher. There was a little boy at the restaurant who I could not understand that I was later told was a child beggar. He hung around us for most of the meal and tried to go with us when we left. I wasn't sure if he was serious or just being mischievous; perhaps he was the kid of one of the people in the area, but my eyes have been opened several ways today. On the way to the gym earlier, we passed by a filthy old man taking a nap in the middle of the sidewalk. I know there are homeless people in the States, but I have never come across someone who did not at least attempt to get money or food from sympathetic pedestrians. I think many fortunate people find it awkward trying to dodge the advances of beggars, but I honestly think I found his apathy even more disturbing. The experiences of today also bring back memories of passing by children and adults alike that were missing limbs. In this tiny country, there is so many people with so many different stories and circumstances. I don't think I could put myself in the shoes of a crippled or homeless child anymore than my friends can know what it is like to lose a family. I don't consider today a bad experience; it was simply eye-opening.

After lunch, we went back to Gerardo's house and just hung out for a while. I was able to rekindle Gerardo's interest in chess and we played about six or seven games tonight. I haven't abandoned my goal of defeating Ernesto; on the contrary, I've been playing with him, Gaby, and now Gerardo quite a bit. There have been a few close games that dwindled down to nothing but our pawns and our kings, but somehow, he always finds a way to come back. I'll get him soon, and when I do, it'll be a blog post, guaranteed!

One.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment