Wednesday, July 17, 2013

July 17, Day 25: The Little Things Pt. 2

It's time for another segment of The Little Things! More differences between my culture and Gerardo's have become evident to me, so here's what I've learned (or remembered).

  • Seasons - In the US, there is a winter, spring, summer, and fall. In Spanish, the exact translations for these would be invierno, primavera, verano, and otoƱo. I had been under the impression that all four of these seasons existed in El Salvador, but I was mistaken. Here, there is only invierno and verano, and rather than translating to winter and summer, it is more accurate to say that they translate to "rainy season" and "dry season." Right now, we are in the middle of the "rainy season" and we have been experiencing intense tropical storms nearly every day, fortunately usually during the night. That means that the summer I left behind in the US has been replaced by what is normally translated in Spanish as winter!
  • Music - Obviously, in a Spanish speaking country, there is a much greater popularity with Spanish music. What surprised me, however, is how frequently English songs are played. Particularly rap songs. I have heard quite a few of my favorite rap songs played and memorized by many. Macklemore, Pitbull, and Eminem are a few, and Gerardo's little brother Gabriel even sings to Bob Marley with me!
  • Money - Both countries make use of the US dollar, which extends to so many countries around the world that it has become the world's principal reserve currency (economics fun fact). However, in El Salvador, I don't recall having seen someone pay with a debit or credit card yet. Most people pay with physical dollars and coins. Additionally, I have seen a ton of $1 coins here in El Salvador, which was a pretty rare sight for me in the US. I'm trying to collect as many as I can; if the dollar crashes, I have more faith in the value of coins than paper.
  • Police - In the US, cops only ever seem to be around when you are driving five miles over the speed limit...not that I have had any issues with them yet. In El Salvador though, they are everywhere. Literally, I encounter at least three or four just walking to the local track for a run. Furthermore, they are packing heat, strapping machine guns in broad daylight. It would be intimidating, but somehow, I doubt I have ever felt safer. On the other hand, I know that militaristic force was used against civilians during the Civil War in El Salvador, so I'm scared to try imagining the advantage the cops would have if history ever repeated itself...
  • Ages of consent and drinking - Yup, I'm going there. In the US, the drinking age is 21 and the age of consent is 18. In El Salvador, the drinking age is 18 and the age of consent is 16. Why does this matter? Perhaps it does not; I have not and will not be in El Salvador long enough to get a true grasp of how this difference in legal acceptability affects people, but here's the blunt truth of what I know about the US: Sex and getting wasted are what high school students find cool. Would lowering the ages have a positive psychological effect on people or would it just make it worse?
  • Goods and Services - I would say that many of the goods I have seen in El Salvador are more expensive than in the US, probably because many of these goods are imported from the US to begin with! Who would have imagined that? On the other hand, I have never seen such a cheap service industry! It's fantastic! Let's compare a few! These are the prices I have experienced, so don't have a hissy fit if what I am used to doesn't match what you are used to.
      Service                                                    United States                              El Salvador
Movie Theater (Night)                                    $9                                                $3
Haircut                                                          $12                                              $2.5
Dentist Cleaning (no insurance)                      $120                                            $10
Gym Membership (1 month)                           $25                                              $10

I know there are a ton of other services I'm forgetting about; medical expenses alone are all cheaper, so I will probably take full advantage of that while I'm here. Anyway, that's all I've got for today!

One.

No comments:

Post a Comment