Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 8, Day 48: The Little Things Pt. 3

This is my final installment of The Little Things. I am both anticipating and dreading my return to the States; there is so much I miss from the States and so much I will miss from here. Here are the final things that I have been meaning to talk about, the last alien sensations in this great country that have struck me as unique.

Stars - I have seen no stars in El Salvador. Gabriel always excitedly points out when a few lonely stars are blinking out to us, which seems pathetic to me since I have been spoiled on beautiful starry skies. Stargazing used to be one of my favorite time killers, though it's been a long time since I've truly enjoyed it. That needs to change.

Allergies - In the 48 days I have been in El Salvador, I have only had to deal with allergies one day. Anyone who knows my track record in the States can testify what a glorious relief that has been for me. The only day I had allergies was when we were up in the mountains in an area that greatly resembled Arkansas to me. From that, Gerardo deduced that my allergies come from dirt, contrary to my belief that I was allergic to pollen, since El Salvador has more flowers than Arkansas, but far less dust floating around.

Air - There is no getting around it: most of El Salvador's air is probably toxic. There is always a strange smell in the air that although I have gotten used to, I expect the fresh air of small-town Arkansas will be a blast of unexpected relief. Still, toxic air feels like a welcome tradeoff from the crap that sets off my allergies so badly that most people believe I've contracted the flu.

Children - When I first came here, I pointed out that Gabriel and Andrea were more well-behaved than most children in the States. I stand by that statement and also apply it to Lore, Gaby's sister. However, the fact that they are children automatically seems to point towards a universal truth that they can be annoying. Unnecessary noises, constantly repeating the same word over and over, making stupid sounds, etc. Nonetheless, they have already established boundaries and know how to act like a family which is more than I can say about most siblings in the States.

Gas - I don't see a lot of regular gas being sold; most of it is Plus or Premium, and sells for around $4.40 per gallon. I think that is about a dollar more expensive than in the States, but nonetheless, I was expecting it to be far more expensive. Maybe I was thinking of Europe...

Fruity Drinks - The closest equivalent I can find in the States are the Real Fruit Smoothies at Sonic. The problem is they completely pale in comparison to the fresa frozen (frozen strawberry) drink that nearly every Salvadorian restaurant offers. If that fails, I turn to Miranda and Fanta, orange-flavored carbonated drinks that I have also grown especially attached to, though they are many times unhealthier.

I'm not sure how many people actually read this blog, though I know I have almost touched a thousand views since starting, which makes me pretty happy. If anyone has any questions at all about something I have forgotten to mention or that I did not consider noteworthy, send me a message or comment so I can address your concerns and provide even more insight over El Salvador from the perspective of a gringo.

One.

No comments:

Post a Comment