Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June 26, Day 4: Mi Primera Pupuseria!

 
Anyone who knows anything about Salvadorian culture will most likely be able to point out the preferred dish that has earned international recognition as being the food of choice in El Salvador. They are called pupusas, and they are pretty amazing, particularly considering how cheap they are. They are usually made of either a corn or rice tortilla and stuffed primarily with cheese and beans, though this is by no means the limit. Pork, chicken, shrimp, vegetables, a lot can be done to pupusas in accordance with the customer's preferences.




Today, I went to my first pupuseria with Gerardo, Connie, and my new friends (their old friends) Diana, Sara, and Rodrigo (a.k.a. Mr. Worldwide). Though not relevant, I'm going to also mention that this was my first encounter with a drunk in El Salvador. Friendly guy. Perhaps too friendly...but I digress.

Though this was not my first time eating pupusas, this was my first time eating fresh pupusas from a pupuseria and I've got to say, it was a highly enjoyable experience. Sort of makes me think of how a ramen stand in Japan is portrayed in pop culture. We ate at La Paciencia, Antiguo Cuscatlán, part of a strip of pupuserias that is apparently well-known in El Salvador. They were 80 cents a piece, and I was completely filled up after three. Plus, I had a Salvadorian drink that Gerardo simply refers to as chocolate. It is very similar to hot chocolate, though instead of putting a pack of chocolate powder into a cup of hot water, real and natural cacao bars are melted down. It is a more bitter drink, but satisfying nonetheless. The excellent company added with this tasty and affordable meal has easily been enough to make me realize what all the hype is about. No wonder Gerardo missed pupusas so much! And as Connie said, "If you don't eat pupusas with your hands, you aren't a real Salvadorian!" Guess I passed the initiation!

One.






1 comment:

  1. What a treat to get to see things through your eyes. Thanks for the colorful descriptions and insights. I envy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete